A group of volunteers and associates formed in September 2016, the Rochester Cathedral Research Guild has embarked on the collation of the cathedral’s historical, archaeological and architectural documentation and researching the many buildings, artefacts and persons featuring in the long history of the site. The Guild also records the building’s architectural and artistic features to aid their interpretation and conservation. The ultimate objective of these researches is the production of a record to an academic standard and available freely online.

Use the menu at the top of this page to view the Guild’s archive reports on its latest endeavours in recording and cataloguing the building and its history. Each section includes a bibliography for further reading. Alternatively, you can view all archive reports arranged by date here.

The Research Guild is also working to publish online a series of transcriptions and translations of texts from the Textus Roffensis (Rochester, Cathedral Library, MS A. 3. 5.) by Dr Chris Monk. The focus is on texts that have yet to be translated, or fully translated, elsewhere – or, if they do exist, are not readily accessible.

The Guild works closely with the Friends of Rochester Cathedral in, amongst other projects, digitising and republishing the trove of information contained within their annual reports, starting in 1936.

The Guild’s work is supervised by Graham Keevill, Cathedral Archaeologist since 2007, and is supported and made possibly by all the members of staff, volunteers and visitors to the cathedral.